Jewelry Care Tips
It is never easy to choose a piece of jewelry and it’s also not that easy to buy one. As much as we wanted to always get the finest quality gold jewelry, our budget may not agree with us all the time. Buying gold plated jewelry is a great option when you’re looking for an accessory or a gift that doesn’t break your bank and this goes for any type of jewelry, may it be a ring, bracelet or your necklace. Gold plating is a process where a thin layer of gold is placed on to coat the surface of another metal. Learn more about gold plating by checking out our Tip Difference Between Solid Gold, Gold Filled, and Gold Plated.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold plated jewelry. Wear your jewelry after you have sprayed on your favorite perfume so that chemicals on the spray or perfume does not interact with your jewelry’s metal.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated ring, bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, chlorine, perfume and the like may react with metal/plated jewelry and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes with sweat, so make sure you don’t forget to remove your gold plated jewelry when you exercise or anything that would require heavy physical work, and also when swimming.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewelry using a soft jewelry cloth also helps restore shine.
- If your jewelry needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft brush. Stay away from jewelry cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will just make your gold plated jewelry tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewelry box separate from other types of jewelry you have.